SoundBreak XP® Wall Board
Acoustically Enhanced High-Density Gypsum Wall Board
Turn down the noise when you incorporate SoundBreak XP Wall® Board into your wall assemblies. It reduces sound transmission between rooms or dwelling units with this superior sound-damping gypsum board.
SoundBreak XP has an acoustically enhanced, high-density gypsum core encased in heavy, abrasion and mold/mildew/moisture resistant, 100% recycled PURPLE® paper on both sides. Plus, SoundBreak XP provides superior mold-inhibiting qualities, perfect for your interior projects.
Reduces Sound Transmission
- Has a constrained layer of viscoelastic damping polymer sandwiched between two pieces of high-density, mold-resistant gypsum board
- Provides high-rated Sound Class Transmission (STC) values per an independent third-party acoustical laboratory using ASTM E90 test procedures
Works For Interior Projects
- Use in a single layer or as a component of multi-layer interior wall assemblies
- Thinner than traditionally built high-STC wall partitions, increasing usable floor space
- Available in 1/2" and 5/8" (5/8" features a fire-resistant Type X Gypsum board core and is UL Classified)
- Provides greater resistance to surface abuse and indentation than standard gypsum board (per ASTM C1629)
Installs Fast And Easy
- Installs like traditional gypsum board, without requiring additional clips and/or channels
- Finishes and decorates as easily as standard gypsum board
- For speed of installation, GridMarX® guide marks are printed on the paper surface.
- Can cut by scoring deeply from both sides before snapping or by using a hand/power saw
Inhibits Mold Growth
- Helps inhibit mold growth with the highest possible score on mold tests (ASTM D3273 and ASTM G21)
- Features Sporgard™ technology with extra mold-inhibiting properties
- Has less than 5% water absorption per ASTM C473
Resists Moisture Better
- Fights the effects of moisture before damage can occur
- Helps to reinforce the structure’s integrity and strength
- Reduces or eliminates swelling or dimensional movement caused by moisture
Use it for interior wall assemblies, where sound transmission between rooms or dwelling units is a concern. 5/8" SoundBreak XP Wall Board may be used where Type X Gypsum Board is specified in fire-rated assemblies.
Acoustically enhanced high-density mold-resistant gypsum core with inner constrained layer of viscoelastic damping polymer. Wrapped with 100% recycled PURPLE paper on both sides.
Nominal 1/2" (12.7 mm)
Nominal 5/8" (15.9 mm)
Nominal 48" (1219 mm)
8' through 12' (2438 mm - 3657 mm)
- Provides superior Sound Transmission Class (STC) values per an independent third-party acoustical laboratory using ASTM E90 test procedures.
- Achieves high STC values in a thinner wall assembly, increasing usable floor space.
- Provides STC Ratings up to 56 for single-layer, steel stud partitions and up to 67 for area separation walls.
Class A Fire Rated per ASTM E84
UL Listed Assemblies
The 5/8" SoundBreak® XP® Gypsum Board is tested in accordance with ASTM Standard E119 and is classified as Type X for use in the following UL listings:
U017, U301, U302, U305, U309, U326, U330, U332, U338, U339, U341, U342, U351, U354, U355, U356, U357, U358, U360, U364, U368, U369, U371, U379, U392, U405, U411, U418, U420, U425, U428, U429, U434, U439, U449, U450, U460, U465, U466, U475, U487, U494, U499, U505, U524, U525, U531, U646, U647, U648, U649, U651, U652, U926, V408, V415, V419, V420, V421, V425, V430, V432, V433, V434, V435, V438, V449, V450, V486, V483, V484, V488UL
5/8" SoundBreak® XP® Gypsum Board: SoundBreak XP
GREENGUARD Gold certified for low VOC Emissions
Passes ASTM D3273 with score of 10 (best possible score for optimum mold resistance)
Passes ASTM G21 with score of 0 (best possible score for optimum mold resistance)
Surface abrasion resistance level 3 classification per ASTM C1629
Soft body impact resistance level 2 classification per ASTM C1629
Indentation resistance level 1 classification per ASTM C1629
Hard body impact resistance level 1 classification per ASTM C1629